Join the Practice

Register as a New Patient

New Patients are welcome to register at the surgery and we are currently accepting new patients. We do register new patients who live outside our practice boundaries (see map opposite), however, because of the greater distance to your home the practice is under no obligation to offer you a home visit.

To register we will require several pieces of information from you. Every patient needs to complete and return a GMS1 form. This is an official document that we must have by law in order to register you with us. If you are an adult, we also require a completed New Patient Questionnaire form. This is a medical questionnaire which will give us some basic information on your current health and lifestyle. We require this because it can take some time for your full medical records to arrive when you change practices.

For children to register, we require a completed GMS1 and an age related form. These contain some simple questions regarding the child's home environment and school and are compulsory.

Finally, we ask for identification in order to register you. For adults, this means a form of photo I.D (passport or driving license) and proof of address (utility bill or bank statement). If a child or young person under the age of 18 is registering, we only require a birth certificate. Please note that you can still register without ID or address.

You can also register online with the practice here.

Practice Boundary

Your address is within the catchment area.
Your address is outside of the catchment area.
Address not found.

Patients have a right to see a specific practitioner if they so wish and they should tell the receptionist of their preference when making an appointment. However, while the practice will endeavour to comply with their wishes, there will be occasions when it will not be possible.

The practice has a policy that we do not discriminate in terms of race, creed, age, disability etc.

All the forms you need to register can be downloaded by clicking the links opposite. Please bring the completed forms plus identification (where available) to reception and we can begin your registration process immediately. You can also collect the forms from reception and complete them in the waiting room.

Temporary Registrations

If you are ill while away from home or if you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one you can receive emergency treatment from the local GP practice for 14 days. After 14 days you will need to register as a temporary or permanent patient.

You can be registered as a temporary patient for up to three months. This will allow you to be on the local practice list and still remain a patient of your permanent GP. After three months you will have to re-register as a temporary patient or permanently register with that practice.

To register as a temporary patient simply contact the local practice you wish to use. Practices do not have to accept you as a temporary patient although they do have an obligation to offer emergency treatment. You cannot register as a temporary patient at a practice in the town or area where you are already registered.

Non English Speakers

These fact sheets have been written to explain the role of UK health services, the National Health Service (NHS), to newly-arrived individuals seeking asylum. They cover issues such as the role of GPs, their function as gatekeepers to the health services, how to register and how to access emergency services.

Special care has been taken to ensure that information is given in clear language, and the content and style has been tested with user groups.

Open the leaflets in one of the following languages:

Disabled Access & Facilities

The Practice has wheelchair/step free access at the main entrance and there is a lift within the building. The car park has disabled parking spaces and a disabled WC.

The Practice can arrange for an interpreter (including BSL) either face to face or on the telephone. Please make your needs known to reception when making an appointment.

If you do have a particular information or communication need and require support to access the practice services please inform a member of staff.